Sunday, September 9, 2012

School clothes

Having three kids and knowing how messy they are, I just couldn't fathom going out before school started and buying all new clothes for them.  I mean they (well my oldest two) are going to be at school doing art projects, eating lunch, going outside to play in these clothes and I won't even be there to remind them to "be careful with that paint," "eat over your plate," or "don't step in that mud puddle!"  So I let both of my girls pick out a new first day of school outfit and that was all the new clothes they got.  They both were super excited about that and just those two outfits cost plenty...I can't imagine going shopping for a whole new wardrobe!  After the first day its been pretty much t-shirts and shorts (because they need to wear tennis shoes everyday for play time and refuse to wear tennis shoes with a dress...haha).  
We have been so blessed to have friends and family who pass along hand-me-downs.  I know the excitement might not last forever but for right now my girls love getting to go through a bag of clothes from an older cousin or friend.  Anyway, even if you don't have friends and family passing down clothes, you can still save a bundle on your child's wardrobe.  As Harper picked out her clothes for this school week and laid them out, I decided to figure out how much all her outfits cost me.  This is what she picked out...
All of the shirts came from Goodwill ($2 apiece), two pairs of shorts were from a friend, and two pairs were from a cousin, and the skirt was a gift from grandma last year.  The grand total was $10.00!!! 
If I do buy my kids clothes, they come from Goodwill or a consignment shop and occasionally the clearance rack at a name brand store.  I like to go to the name brand stores at the end of the season and get some good deals for the next year.  I also do this at the consignment stores and can get things for $1-$2 a piece.  And I try to only buy pants, shorts and skirts that have the adjustable waistband...what a great invention!  The adjustable waistband allows my girls to share and get a lot more use out of clothing when we can change the waist size.  How do you save money on your child(ren)'s wardrobe?

No comments:

Post a Comment