Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Staying fit

I have had a few people ask me how I find the time to exercise while being a single mom to my three smarties. I do not belong to a gym but have found things that work for me and keep me feeling good.  Here's what I do...

I found a couple of quick and simple exercise routines on Pinterest that I like to do.  I chose the ones that I could do without needing any equipment.  I find myself making excuses to not workout if I need to have all kinds of stuff to do it.  

Here's one of my favorites.  It's called the super fast fat blasting stair sprint workout. All you need is stairs.  You can shorten or lengthen this workout and the blogger gives you alternatives when you need to bump up the difficulty.  This is one I like to do after I put my smarties in the bed in the evenings.  

Another workout I've really enjoyed is Fit Friday: At home workouts.  No equipment needed and can be done in less than 30 minutes.  Another easy one to do once kids are in the bed for the night.

I love this ab routine and do it daily.  It can be done in the floor while my kids play around me and I don't need any equipment.  30 Day Ab Challenge

Running...It's something you can do without needing anything, you can do it anywhere, and for as long or as short of a distance as you like.  I recently bought a double jogging stroller on Craigslist ($65) and I will take my youngest smarties for a run/walk some mornings while my oldest smartie is in school. But even when I do have all three smarties with me, we go for walks around the neighborhood together. I want my kids to learn how important it is to take care of yourself and live a healthy life so I get them involved when I can.

I do own a treadmill and I will jump on it after the kids are in bed some nights and walk/run.  Getting on the treadmill was like torture for me for a while...I mean staring at a wall makes it hard to be on there for too long.  So I decided if I was going to use this thing, I had to find a motivator.  So I went on Netflix and picked a TV show I had never watched (I chose the show 24) and one that would keep my attention.  I only allow myself to watch an episode (or two sometimes) when I'm on the treadmill.  Every episode is a cliff-hanger so it keeps me wanting to get back on the treadmill.

I try and alternate between running, stair workout, and the at home workout.  I have found one thing is for sure with me...if I do one thing repeatedly without variety, I get totally burned out and end up not doing it at all.

I'd love for you to share some easy at home routines or things you like do to keep you exercising!  I'm always looking for new things to do.

2 comments:

  1. Now that the nice weather is here, I hope to be at the HOA pool as often as possible! Hopefully, I'll tone up quite a bit over the summer, even if I don't lose any weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for pool weather! That's my goal as well...not to lose but to tone! Have a great summer!

      Delete