Monday, September 8, 2014

Exercise...do it!

Finding time to do it-You might be thinking..."I don't have time to fit exercise into my already busy schedule." Maybe you can't workout for an hour every single day and that's ok. Try 30 minutes 3-4 days a week and work up to more if you can. Are you a dvd workout person?, a class at the Y person?, a runner?, or all of the above? Figure out what you like best and build that/those thing(s) into your workout routine. Switching things up often is what works for me.  Right now, I mix up the dvd workouts with Asylum, P90X3 and T25 (ps P90X3 is only 30 min and T25 is only 25 min for those of you who are short on time), running, strength, core, stretching/flexibility and rest days into my routine.

Making it a priority-I have definitely had to learn to prioritize things in order to get done what I have to each day.  My kids and their activities come first so I often find myself doing my workouts after I put them to bed. But having my workout to do in the evenings, keeps us on schedule and gets my kids in bed by a certain time each night.  Maybe you are an early riser and working out first thing in the morning would be better for you? When I was a stay-at-home mom, working out during nap time was the easiest for me.  Figure out what time of the day is best for you and make that time a priority to becoming a better and healthier you!


Doing it with your kids-When I do my shorter video workouts, I always ask my girls (ages 6 and almost 8) if they want to join me and they usually say yes.  I let them go put out their "workout outfit" on and we have fun together.  We laugh when we are doing silly looking exercises and we cheer each other on.  Some of the exercises might require more coordination the girls have so I let them do it best they can and don't criticize.  The last thing I want to do is discourage them from getting active!  

I also do an outside group workout at least once a week.  Going outside is even easier to get the kids involved.  I let my kids pick a riding toy and a soccer ball to take when they go with me to my group workouts.  They play and stay active while I'm working out.  It's a win/win!
If you want to run or walk, let your older kids do it with you.  If you have younger kids, get a jogging stroller (bought mine off Craigslist for $60 and when my kids grew out of it, I sold it on Craigslist for $50).  Here's an easy Couch to 5K training schedule you can do with your kids and work towards running a race together.  Here's a few links that might help you out...
Couch to 5k training program
Couch to 5k Treadmill training  
*There's also apps you can download onto your smartphone, Facebook pages you can like and follow for tips and guidance and local groups (check out Fleet Feet or a similar store or the YMCA in your area to see what's available).

Setting realistic goals-Everyone wants results but you have to put the work in to get them.  Just make sure they are realistic.  Setting goals that are too hard to reach leads to frustration and eventually giving up.  I like to set short term goals for myself so I can feel a sense of accomplishment as I reach each one.  There's nothing more motivating than being able to say "I did it!"


Accountability partner/group-I was always a loner when it came to exercising until I joined a running group. It was there that I realized how beneficial it was to have someone there to push you harder and cheer you on and it made exercising more enjoyable.  I only went one evening a week but that ended up being my favorite day.  Then this summer (as I was taking time off from running for an injury) my brother and sister in law started a workout group with a few friends.  They have been my accountability partners for the past few months.  In that time, I have stuck with my commitment to exercising better than I ever have before.  It's been such a success that they are thinking creating more small groups for others (in the Winston area) who might be interested.  Check out the Red Fury Fitness website to see what we do!


I'd love to hear about the ways you stay active!

No comments:

Post a Comment